Re: Feature request noticed in bugzilla

From: David Luyer <david_luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:23:19 +1100

  Andres Koonmaa:
> > Seems that there is no standard way for it. [...]

Me:
> It looks like it should be possible but I couldn't get some test code to
> work and it's not clear from the kernel source that IP_RECVTOS works on
> TCP (I would've thought that it could easily be stored for a TCP session
> and retrieved by a simple query). I'll try and look again later.

Alexey pointed out how it is meant to be possible but it isn't (IP_RECVTOS
followed by IP_PKTOPTIONS). Someone working on a different, closed-source
caching project (are you on this list? :-) pointed out that they pass
through the TOS from incoming sockets to outgoing if desired and provide
a wide range of TOS-related options (setting/querying the TOS in access
control, etc). I guess you get this extra flexibility by controlling the
project right down to the kernel level.

Basically, on Linux, TOS can only be set, the incoming TOS of a TCP packet
can't be queried on a stock kernel without actually capturing the packet to
examine it.

David.

--
David Luyer                                        Phone:   +61 3 9674 7525
Engineering Projects Manager   P A C I F I C       Fax:     +61 3 9699 8693