Re: renaming modules to lib*

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:16:46 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> Ah, path/.a instead of -L path -lname. I thought that made no differenc
> to the resulting binary for static links?

It depends. On some systems it causes the whole archive to be linked, on
other it is similar to a library where only referenced objects gets
linked by a reference search.

It is more of a conceptual difference than file formats. We could just
as well made a pre-link to link all the objects into one .o file, but
archives are simpler and more portable.

> The question still remaings for the shared module stuff that I am
> targeting down the track (and yes, it's 100% optional - static compiles
> will still be the default).
>
> So can I rename them?

If you like to and it solves some problem then yes.

/Henrik