Re: licencing and modules

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:45:57 +0800

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001, Robert Collins wrote:
> I think now is a good time to raise this topic.
>
> One of the concerns I have with getting run-time modules going, is that
> corporations may release binary only modules. Thats something I don't
> want to see happen. I'm driving the run-time loading to allow easy
> inplace upgrades, and more flexible configs, not to reduce the GPLness
> of squid.
>
> Is there any mechanism that can be put in place to ensure that all
> libraries/modules that squid can load will have to be GPL'd as well?

<flame>
This hasn't stopped people in the past..
</flame>

Seriously though, does it matter? If companies start releasing
binary-only modules for squid, I'll be flattered. And since I bet
they'll need to fix up some internal bit of squid to get a little
more performance or flexibility, the GPLness is still there.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Two hundred and thirty-three thousand
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  times the speed of light.