Re: [squid-users] squid.alloc

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:38:40 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> Can we look at hiding most of the developer only configure options in
> some fashion? Or perhaps issue a warning and a 30 second delay if a
> non-standard option is invoked?

A good start would be to make sure all debug options start with
--enable-debug-... today not it is not always obvious an option is for
debugging use..

What about the following name scheme:

--enable-debug- Debug options
--enable-experimental- Experimental/unfinished options

But whatever we do the rule of thumb still applies. Some users have the
odd habit of specifying all available configure options thinking that
they get a better result that way, even if they don't understand what
the option does. So a sleep while printing the "rule of thumb" on the
most obvious not-suitable-for-production-use options are probably an
good idea as well to get the message out.