Re: [squid-users] squid.alloc

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid-dev@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:11:54 +1000

Or how about just a simple on/off flag in one of the configure files to
enable the use and display of the configure debug options? If use of the
flag is not documented too widely (but well documented inside the source
code itself), the only people who will see it (and obviously so) are those
who look at the code. In other words, the exact group of people who will
know how to use these options are the only ones generally who will see the
flag in the first place and know to set it differently...

Reuben

At 05:38 PM 22/04/2001 +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> > Can we look at hiding most of the developer only configure options in
> > some fashion? Or perhaps issue a warning and a 30 second delay if a
> > non-standard option is invoked?
>
>A good start would be to make sure all debug options start with
>--enable-debug-... today not it is not always obvious an option is for
>debugging use..
>
>What about the following name scheme:
>
>--enable-debug- Debug options
>--enable-experimental- Experimental/unfinished options
>
>But whatever we do the rule of thumb still applies. Some users have the
>odd habit of specifying all available configure options thinking that
>they get a better result that way, even if they don't understand what
>the option does. So a sleep while printing the "rule of thumb" on the
>most obvious not-suitable-for-production-use options are probably an
>good idea as well to get the message out.
>
>--
>Henrik

Reuben Farrelly West Ryde, NSW 2114, Australia