RE: libtool && automake

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:17:41 +1000

I think I didn't answer all the questions in the mail before...

No.

> Does automake track dependencies between subdirectories? That is, does
> it know which subdirectory must run "make all" first to build the
> libraries and such needed by other directories?

The same way make does - the order of entries in the subdir variable.

> Does automake track dependencies between sources of an executable
> file? That is, can it order libraries and object files to avoid
> order-dependent unresolved symbols?

No. Libtool does. I.e. if you have a library libmodfoo that depends on
the library libsquid_parser, and you link the program foo
-Lpath/tp/libmodfoo -l modfoo; libtool will add -Lpath/to/squid_parser
-l squid_parser to the link line.

> Can Libtool/automake support non-GNU make programs?

Yes.

> Does Libtool/automake support C++?

Yes. Libtools Multi-Language-Branch- MLB) supports C++, Java, C and
more. This is how gcc-3 builds it's std libs.

> Finally, can Libtool/automake support MS Windows natively (without
> cygwin environment and such)?

automake: as long as you perl and unix-style path handling (essentially
the same requirements as autoconf.)

Libtool: I'm not sure what you mean here. cygwin _is_native_windows_ as
far as library load paths and static and late binding go. I believe that
the gimp for windows (which doesn't link against cygwin) is built with
libtool.

Remember all cygwin is is an alternative libc.

Rob