Re: a general question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:49:15 +0200

Songqing Chen wrote:

> 1. I don't quite understand why there is the choice of "redirect" there when
> processing client's request? ( the cnfiguration says it is optional. )

The redirector interface in Squid is optional, but quite powerful. It
can be used to
  a) Redirect users to other sites, such as more closeby mirrors.
  b) External access control
  c) Many other things also possible...

> 2. During the processing, when some error happens, why is still the
> clientCreateStoreEntry called, and the errorAppend is called to put the error
> message to the StoreEntry?

Because the core expects to have a StoreEntry, and errors are also
negatively cached in memory.

> 3. The squid document about the storage management is quite thin, I am wondering
> if you could descript the basic and important stuff about that to make it
> clearer, or maybe when I understand it, I can write something about it.

The store manager is a somewhat moving target, but we can try..

There are a number of different interfaces to or related to the store
manager:

* Interface for finding objects in the cache
* Interface for protocols to store information
* Interface between store manager and "filesystems"
* Interface used to control removal policies
* Interface to read data

which one of these interfaces needs more information first?

And please keep discussions on squid-dev@squid-cache.org, the list
existing for the sole purpose of discussion about the Squid code.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker