Re: CygWin Windows Service support released

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:33:03 +0200

Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:

> One of the things I'd like to do if I'll ever find the time
> would be having some way to dynamically reconfigure portions of
> Squid (via telnet/ssh). If I'll ever find the time to do that,
> or if it's even possible :-)

I have a patch which adds ACL reloads to the cachemgr, but it was
rejected by Duane, stating this policy.

> IMO it would be a great project for those of us
> building appliances :-)

It is.

> This would free the Cachemgr from being
> a configuration tool, leaving it the job of status
> inspection only.
>
> Also, about the Cache Manager, maybe it could be interesting
> to move its output to XML, having cachemgr.cgi or something
> else do the XML->other format translation.

Maybe, but the current structured ascii format works quite nicely for
the purpose I think.

cache_object format description:

 a) Lines without tabs is plain lines

 b) First line with tabs is a table heading

 c) Subsequent lines with tabs is table data

 d) If you need to output more than one table, separate them with a
blank line.

The exception to the above is the menu page, detected by the action name
(blank or "menu"). It is formatted using the table syntax but without a
table heading, and the table columns have predefined meanings (action,
description, protection)