Re: Chunked mempools, a first verdict

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:40:07 +0200

On 29 Apr 2001, at 2:35, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se> wrote:

> A fair bit of cleanup remains before this can get committed to HEAD.
>
> * src/MemPoolStats.c is a mixture of different things, while the name
> suggests it should be statistics.. probably much of the non-statistics
> things there should be moved to lib/MemPools.c

 Then probably rather rename it to something else? memPoolMisc.c ?
 Reason why there are lots of things under src/ is that many things are
 simply not accessible from lib/. eg. debug(), eventAdd(), Config tree.
 So, several funcs you tagged as "does not belong here" actually stand
 a very little chance to be moved to lib/. And we either add another
 src/ file or rename the one. no?

> * The namespace used is way to large. lib/MemPools.c (after a initial
> cleanup) export 25 symbols, plus 7 from src/MemPoolsStat.c. This is way
> more than should be required. (the old MemPool.c exported 16 symbols,
> which already was way to much for a memory pool allocator).

 just for my understanding - why is this bad? MemPool is squid module,
 not very general purpose allocator?
 If we take the goal to reduce namespace, then this is not very hard
 I hope (up to a point). I just never thought this might be a problem.

> * The whole concept of how/where statistics is kept and retreived is
> messy and needs to be thought over and better designed.

 It came from my attempt to split memPool into src/ and lib/ parts,
 and different problems with that.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Delfi Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 708