Re: Chunked mempools, a first verdict

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:46:29 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> just for my understanding - why is this bad? MemPool is squid module,
> not very general purpose allocator?

It is an matter of API definition, and more so when things are moved to
lib. Having an API with 25 public interface points for something as
simple as a memory allocator is a messy API.

> If we take the goal to reduce namespace, then this is not very hard
> I hope (up to a point). I just never thought this might be a problem.

The goal is to provide clean and easy to understand interfaces between
different modules. Namespace size is a very good measure in how well
designed the code module API is.