Re: Question about xrename function

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:30:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Guido Serassio wrote:

> In file debug.c, at line 208, I read this:
>
> /*
> * NOTE: we cannot use xrename here without having it in a
> * separate file -- tools.c has too many dependencies to be
> * used everywhere debug.c is used.
> */
> rename(from, to);
>
> Why ?

I am probably the person who wrote that comment. If you use xrename in
debug.c then you have to link all programs that use debug.c with
tools.c where xrename is defined. IIRC, the latter presented a problem
because tools.c depended on too many things; those things would have
to be imported in every program that uses debug.c.

All or some of the above may no longer be true though, and/or I may be
misremembering. Try replacing "rename" in debug.c with "xrename", see
what happens, and submit a better comment text afterwards. :)

Alex.