Re: -O vs -O2, revisited

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 04:55:50 +0800

On Sat, May 05, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > And no, its not a freebsdism, its a gcc-under-a-non-linux-i386-platform
> > ism. :(
>
> Hmm.. so you are saying that the same bug does not exists if the exact
> same GCC version is running on Linux? Odd.. I imagined the code
> generation was mostly the same across the OS:es running on the same
> CPU..

You'd think .. :-)

> Have someone contacted the FreeBSD/OpenBSD maintainers to get the
> compiler fixed?

Well, FreeBSD doesn't build any part of the system with -O2 or
above.

The trouble is that even if someone wanted to chase down the bug(s)
and provide patches, the files would come off the vendor branch and
it would become a pain to import new versions.

> Which versions does these broken GCC compilers report themselves as?

adrian@chunky:~> uname -a
FreeBSD chunky.cacheboy.net 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001 jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386
adrian@chunky:~> gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.3 [FreeBSD] 20010315 (release)
adrian@chunky:~>

--
Adrian Chadd			"How could we possibly use sex to get
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  what we want?