Re: -O vs -O2, revisited

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 01:10:04 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> You can do something to configure to change its idea of CFLAGS,
> but I'd like it to default to -O rather than -O2. People can
> bump it up to -O2 if they'd like.

Actually it is autoconf that defaults to -O2, and people are allowed to
bump it down if they like.. Changing autoconf's idea of compiler flags
is done by setting CFLAGS when you run configure.

  env CFLAGS="-g -O" ./configure ...

What Squid have is rules to in configure.in to forcibly bump it down on
known broken configurations such as.

  * Solaris X86
  * GCC 2.95.[12]
  * Motorola 88k

Now it seems we need to extend that list somewhat with
  GCC 2.95.3
  GCC 2.96

Note: Users can bump it up again by setting the ac_cflags variable when
running make if they like to. I use the ac_cflags make variable to
extend the list of compiler warnings enabled (mainly
"-Wmissing-prototypes -Werror")