Re: -O vs -O2, revisited

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 01:23:46 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> IIRC redhat 7.0 is the same. A whole bunch of distro's seem to have
> forgotten that pre-release means "before" release :]

The current release GCC versions (2.95.1, 2.95.2 and now obviously also
2.95.3) id also broken in various ways. No version is completely
bugfree.

Which version to select for a distribution is a bit of a tricky thing,
and for me it was a good thing RedHat selected to use a "alpha" version
in 7.0 as it found a couple of bugs in my code the "old" gcc-2.95.X /
egcs versions did not (this is apart from me finding a couple of bugs in
the "alpha" GCC redhat shipped, but those bugs were at that time already
found and fixed by RedHat/whoever and they even responded promptly on
the bug reports)