Re: bugzilla query:

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 20:10:42 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@hem.passagen.se>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: "Squid-Dev (E-mail)" <squid-dev@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: bugzilla query:

> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > Doesn't someone get emailed automatically when a new bug is logged?
If
> > the component owner is the one emailed, feel free to make me the
"auth"
> > owner, and I'll act on those bugs fairly quickly (the next weekend
after
> > the logging, at worst).
>
> That is the intention, but does not work entirely the way intended yet
> it seems..
>
> --
> Henrik

The question of resolved vs closed is still in the air. (And yes it is
secondary to actioning the bug fixes, but saving developer and bug
reporter confusion is worth a bit of time now IMO.

If no-one has a set opinion can I suggest the following:

A bug is closed when the bug reporter is satisfied with the fix || (the
bug reporter cannot be contacted && the assignee is satisfied).

A bug is resolved [*] when a workaround/fix/decision to defer or not
handle has been created/taken. (Note: many bugs will fall into closed,
only bugs where there is some long-term process will sit at resolved.)

This makes querying a bit clearer:
non-closed-resolved means that something remains to be done (but that
the thing may be long term/fixed by the next release...)
non-closed-non-resolved means that the bug is still under active
investigation.

An example: the -O2 compiler optimisation bug on various platforms,
would be resolved-workaround. (Build with -g). Once a squid version is
released with that particular platform/version checked in configure, the
bug would be closed.

Rob