Re: Squid development

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:59:27 +0200

Michael Y. Popov wrote:

> 1. Squid uses MD5 algorithm quite frequently, so MD5 main (which took
> most of CPU power) function may be rewritten in assembly for better
> performance. I does it already, using Netwide Assembler (freeware).
> So code becomes little smaller and about 45% faster than code,
> produces by C compiler (Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, since I use SquidNT
> ported by Romeo Anghelache). Only one disadvantage exists: this code
> is only for 32-bit x86 architecture only. The code is highly optimized
> for P6 architecture.
> If you find this work useful for Squid, I'll send you code (asm file)
> with 'MD5Transform' function.

Squid-2.5 can be linked with OpenSSL which includes MD5 routines which
is substantially faster than the code shipped with Squid (45% faster).

Shipping assembly language versions with Squid is a bit messy,
especially considering that there are other free packages available that
Squid may use...

> 2. Second idea is about Squid's IP and FQDN caches. All Squid versions
> (known to me) use this caches only during uptime, so Squid restarting
> cause lost of both caches. I think it will be useful to write these
> caches to files and reloads its on 'init' phase of Squid loading.
> Modifications if quite little and all basic code will be unmodified.
> Unfortunately, I implemented this idea only for Win32 platform for
> now. But I think re-porting to standard file I/O functions will not be
> difficult.

Personally I like that the IP and FQDN caches in Squid are ditched on a
restart, but I recognise that other may have other opinions on this.

Fellow Squid developers: What is your opinions?

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker