Squid development on Windows - Current status

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:34:42 +0200

Hi,

At this moment there are 3 working Squid branch on Sourceforge related to
Squid on Windows:

nt-2_3, based on 2.3 STABLE 4.
I have just back ported the new WIN32 code from 2.5, so now the main
features are:
- Runs natively on Windows NT/2000 as a service
- Compiles with MS Visual C++
- Supports multiple Squid service instances
- Read DNS settings from Windows Registry
- Use free redistributable Microsoft psapi.dll for full getrusage function
emulation
Some Squid features are not operationals: WCCP, transparent proxy, Async
I/O and SNMP. Some code sections can make blocking calls.

cygwin, based on HEAD.
I have added some functionality from the old 2.3 NT works, so now the main
features are:
- Runs on Windows 9x, NT/2000 as CygWin unix daemon
- Use CygWin as Unix emulation Layer
- Optionally use free redistributable Microsoft psapi.dll for full
getrusage function emulation
- Read DNS settings from Windows Registry
- NT native Basic Authenticator
All code changes are made with in mind a future NT native port and the
smallest HEAD code impact.

cygwin-svc, based on cygwin.
I have strongly rewrited and reorganized the old 2.3 NT works,The main
features are:
- Runs on Windows NT/2000 as a service
- Use CygWin as Unix emulation Layer
- Supports multiple Squid service instances
All code changes are made with in mind a future NT native port and the
smallest HEAD code impact. Future developments: WCCP support (?), service
on Windows 9x, transparent proxy (?), and Windows better integration.

I think that nt-2_4 branch can be safely removed from Sourceforge, because
all new development is made on CygWin and HEAD or in the old nt-2_3 for
testing native NT functionality. I expect to add in the near future a new
nt-2_5(6) branch.

Guido

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
             serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it