Re: Leakfinder

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:55:30 +0200

Chemolli Francesco (USI) wrote:

> Can anybody give me some hints on how does the leakfinder work? I have the
> impression that somewhere someone is leaking memory, and I wanted to try
> to do some profiling.
>
> I've tried a few malloc leak-detectors, with Mozilla's "leaky" apparently
> being
> the most suited to the job, however it won't work.

I frequently use memprof for finding leaks. Does it's job, and is very
simple to use and provides very detailed trace information at the click
of a button. Unfortunately it does not work for cbdata due to the self
reference.

The issue with cbdata is that the returned pointer does not match the
pointer returned by malloc, making it almost impossible to run leak
checks, and that there is a internal selfreferencing pointer (can be
removed, is currently only left as a sanity check).