RE: External group concept

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 09:39:00 +0200

> > > ie
> > >
> > > acl sample srcip 192.168.0.1
> > > external_acl_helper srcip /path <arguments>
> > >
> > > having patterns in the arguments would be nice - ie
> > > %u %i %url
> > > "robert" "192.168.0.2" http://www.foo.com
> >
> > And with what I propose it would become
> >
> > acl sample external srcip
> > external_acl_helper srcip SOURCE_IP /path/to/helper
> >
> > where SOURCE_IP is a selector specifier telling that the
> helper want's
> > the users IP address.

There is a more general solution to this that I have been thinking
about for some time, and that is: parametrizing the Squid logfile format
somehow. Something like the Apache CustomLog directive:

i.e.
logformat <name> <directive_specifying_logformat_somehow>
squid_log <name_of_logformat> /path/to/squid.log

At this point we can also do something like

helper_protocol <helper-name> <name-of-logformat>

Which instructs squid that the helper wants a certain protocol.
This would allow for great flexibility in customizing helpers for
one's needs. Of course a number of predifined formats can be
supplied to properly emulate the current squid-helper protocols.

--
	/kinkie