Re: [ole@hoth.jmg.com.pl: ]

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:04:19 +0200

Why don't you fix it in transproxy, allowing transproxy to be used to
"transparently" redirect MSIE users to any kind of cache, not only
Squid? It is only a matter of adding a "Pragma: no-cache" header when
you see a request from certain MSIE version and there is a
If-Modified-Since header.

The "ie_refresh" thing is a big temporary hack for a broken setup
(transparent proxying). It see no reason to why it should be made
flexible to cover cases where Squid is not acting as a transparent proxy
(transproxy is the transparent proxy here).

Tha hack is big, as it does not fix the problem, only hide the issues in
one very common case by quite serverely sacrificing your hit ratio for
these browsers.

The hack is temporary, as newer versions of IE does not make the valid
assumption that there is no proxy cache in the path unless the browser
asks for one.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker