Re: CYGWIN blocking reads?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:10:30 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> I haven't re-tested this. Cygwin does support non-blocking I/O - and we are
> using it. However for some reason a read on a non-ready socket was
> blocking!.

Which the same as saying Cygwin does not support non-blocking I/O, at least
not on read().

Note: Using select() is NOT the same as non-blocking I/O. non-blocking I/O is
returning EAGAIN when read/write/accept/whatever otherwise would have blocked.
select()/poll() is commonly used in conjunction with non-blocking I/O to avoid
having to spin around polling all your file handles, but there are
non-blocking I/O uses where select()/poll() is not used (for example a
CPU intensive task needing to accept console commands).

--
Henriik