Re: NT port project join

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:24:45 +0200

Hi Andrey.

I think I misunderstood you.

To contribute with modification to the nt-2_3 Squid branch as a
SourceForge user, start by reading the instructions on
http://squid.sourceforge.net/CVS.html and
http://squid.sourceforge.net/rules.html

Please note however that the nt-2_3 branch is old, and not actively
being ported forward to newer Squid releases (currently Squid-2.4,
Squid-2.5 not too distant).

To get going you will need at least the following tools:

* SSH
* CVS
* A UNIX like environment with ssh, cvs and perl to run the branch
tracking tools (CYGWIN should work).
* The branch tracking tools "cvsmkbranch" and "cvsmerge", downloadable
from the above mentioned CVS.html page.

Until you and Guido knows each other more familary, I'd suggest you save
your changes on a sub-branch from the nt-2_3 branch to not conflict with
that Guido is doing.

How to create a sub-branch:

1. Get a working copy of the nt-2_3 branch

  cvs -d ... co -r nt-2_3 -d squidnt-2.3 squid

2. Create a new branch from there

  cd squidnt-2.3
  cvsmkbranch nt-2.3-tolsty
  cd ..
  mv nt-2.3-tolsty squidnt-2.3-tolsty
  rm -rf squidnt-2.3 (optional, to not by mistake operate on the nt-2_3
branch..)

This procedure gives you a personal subbranch of the nt-2_3 branch in
the directory squidnt-2.3-tolsty, where you can publish any changes
freely using CVS.

Later, when there has been changes in nt-2_3 that you want to have
mirrored into your branch, simply run "cvsmerge nt-2_3" to move the
changes over.

If this procedure seems messy, you can also submit your changes to
squid-dev@squid-cache.org.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker