Re: NT port project join

From: Guido Serassio <serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:11:53 +0200

Hi,

Il 21.24 24/07/2001 Henrik Nordstrom ha scritto:
>Hi Andrey.
>
>I think I misunderstood you.
>
>To contribute with modification to the nt-2_3 Squid branch as a
>SourceForge user, start by reading the instructions on
>http://squid.sourceforge.net/CVS.html and
>http://squid.sourceforge.net/rules.html
>
>Please note however that the nt-2_3 branch is old, and not actively
>being ported forward to newer Squid releases (currently Squid-2.4,
>Squid-2.5 not too distant).

Yes, this is true, but it's the only Squid running native on NT.
At this moment, when it's possible, I use this branch as NT native test
environment for NT code developed for cygwin-svc branch of 2.5 DEVEL.

Guido

>To get going you will need at least the following tools:
>
>* SSH
>* CVS
>* A UNIX like environment with ssh, cvs and perl to run the branch
>tracking tools (CYGWIN should work).
>* The branch tracking tools "cvsmkbranch" and "cvsmerge", downloadable
>from the above mentioned CVS.html page.
>

>Until you and Guido knows each other more familary, I'd suggest you save
>your changes on a sub-branch from the nt-2_3 branch to not conflict with
>that Guido is doing.
>

>How to create a sub-branch:
>
>1. Get a working copy of the nt-2_3 branch
>
> cvs -d ... co -r nt-2_3 -d squidnt-2.3 squid
>
>2. Create a new branch from there
>
> cd squidnt-2.3
> cvsmkbranch nt-2.3-tolsty
> cd ..
> mv nt-2.3-tolsty squidnt-2.3-tolsty
> rm -rf squidnt-2.3 (optional, to not by mistake operate on the nt-2_3
>branch..)
>

>This procedure gives you a personal subbranch of the nt-2_3 branch in
>the directory squidnt-2.3-tolsty, where you can publish any changes
>freely using CVS.
>
>Later, when there has been changes in nt-2_3 that you want to have
>mirrored into your branch, simply run "cvsmerge nt-2_3" to move the
>changes over.
>

>If this procedure seems messy, you can also submit your changes to
>squid-dev@squid-cache.org.
>
>--
>Henrik Nordstrom
>Squid Hacker
>

>Andrey Shorin wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Romeo & Guido!
> >
> > Thanks for great job you've done for porting Squid to Win32 platform.
> It suits my needs almost completely.
> >
> > Being concerned on caching our company Internet access I tried your
> port of Squid for several months and it worked great. But I wanted to get
> some traffic savings redirecting certain sites (and banners, to be
> frank). So, I downloaded sources and start digging into. Now I have a
> version of native NT port based on the following patch :
> >
> > ------------------- cut nt-2_3.patch ------------------
> > This file is generated from the nt-2_3 branch in CVS on SourceForge
> > Mon Jul 16 23:11:19 2001 GMT
> > See http://squid.sourceforge.net/
> > ------------------- cut nt-2_3.patch ------------------
> >
> > ... with support of helpers, unlinkd & pinger.
> >
> > I'd like to submit it to make publicly available. So would you please
> let me join your works?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrey Shorin
> > IT department
> > AGA Holding
> > Moscow, Russia
> > Tel.: +7 (095) 721-3333
> > https://sourceforge.net/users/tolsty/

> > AGA Holding Mail Server
> >
> > NTMail K12 - the Mail Server for Education

-
Serassio Guido
Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.610749
E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
         serassio@libero.it
WWW: http://www.serassio.it