Re: transparent HTTPS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:18:46 +0200

Frank Sweetser wrote:

> It's not really for a typical proxy use. We're a university. When students
> show up, they're required to register their ether address and drop location
> before we hand then an address via DHCP. The idea was, hand them out
> a private range address, and point them at a DNS server that hands back
> all addresses as pointing at the squid transparent proxy. Squid then
> rewrites all URLs to a "You're not registered! Here's what to do..."
> page, except ones related to the actual registration page. All of this
> works beautifully, except that the registration page is on a different
> subnet, reachable only via HTTPS....

Ok. Makes some sense.

Here is what you should do:

1. In the special DNS, register the IP of the server managing the registration.

2. For all other domain names, return a dummy IP where you have a server
sending browser redirects for all request, redirecting them to the registration
server. This server can be a Squid with a redirector, or a Apache, or mostly
anything else (even a small shell script will do).

Having the proxy simply rewrite the URL's on the fly is not a good idea.

And keep in mind that it is mostly a matter of minutes before your students
discover how it works and hacks around it. I would recommend looking at other
solutions like VLAN or similar "physical" borders.