Re: moving back to 32-bit swap_filens ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:53:51 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Are you sure its alignment? I'm dead sure its malloc overhead.
> 16 bytes is a big much for struct alighment. Also, when you
> set it to 32 bits, did you drop the sdirno type down to a char
> when you did the size comparison?

It is a combination of alignment and malloc overhead. malloc can't know alignment
requirements, so it has to assume the worst, plus that it has it's own overhead.

What I meant to say is that it ends up causing malloc to have a granularity of 16
bytes on most 32-bit platforms.

On Intel platforms, an alignment of 4 bytes is sufficient for normal structures.
Only if certain hardware elements are involved higher alignments are needed. On
some RISC platforms alignment requirements of 8 bytes is not too uncommon.

> So, here's a question: should we put the slab allocator into squid-HEAD
> now?

Naa.. I'd rather get 2.5 in shape first. The step 2.4->2.5 is already huge, and
I am a bit reluctant about adding more changes to 2.5.