Re: New committer: Robert Collins

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 02:37:01 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I don't think there's a formal set of guidelines, but common practice
> seems to be posting patches to squid-dev for large changes, and
> just committing small bugfixes.

My guidelines:

* Large changes need to be announced on squid-dev a week before, to give others a
chance to comment or reject the change.

* ANY changes to HEAD MUST be properly tested. The meaning of this is up to you.

* No developments in the HEAD branch. A feature or larger bug fix should only be
committed to HEAD when you think it is ready for widespread use. If this is not
the case, keep the changes in a SourceForge branch until you are ready.

* Please observe the current state of Squids release cycle. HEAD basically cycles
between three states:
   1. Feature collection
   2. cleanup + important new features discovered on the way
   3. cooldown/bugfixing before branching a independent release branch
   and we (at least in my opinion) currently are on the edge to go from cleanup
to cooldown for 2.5.

* Plus the partially server imposed requirement that any commits needs to be
properly indented with GNU indent 1.9.1 -br -ce -i4 -ci4 -l80 -nlp -npcs -npsl
-d0 -sc -di0 -psl . Note that GNU indent version 1.9.1 must be used with exact
these flags, no other version of indent, or variation in flags used.