Re: squid-2.4stable2 ?

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:11:08 -0600

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001, Joe Cooper wrote:

> If you'll document COSS (just the bare facts of configuration is fine),
> I'll bang on it here on Linux kernel 2.2 and 2.4 with a few Polygraph runs.
>
> Am I remembering/misremembering that you've made it asyncable? (Or
> pretty close? I know I saw some async commits for COSS.)

Yup, it uses the POSIX aio calls. You'll need to find support for this
somewhere. I know for a fact that FreeBSD and Solaris support it.

* Grab the diskio branch from sourceforge
* Use a config file that looks something like this:

coredump_dir /home/adrian/work/squid/run/logs
cache_dir coss /home/adrian/work/squid/run/coss-1 100 max-objsize=65536
cache_swap_log /home/adrian/work/squid/run/cachelog/dir.%s

I think the last line will do it- just play with it a little.

the diskio branch has the COSS code from HEAD, the sdirno/sfileno types
modified to be 2gb-happy (don't go over a dirsize of 2000 just yet..)
and some zero-copy store client patches which I'm going to need to
develop to get some efficient read code in there.

Don't try to talk to a raw disk just yet either. It will work in theory,
but it might run like _crap_, if it runs at all.

Good luck!

Adrian