Re: Squid as GNU software...

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:06:14 -0500

Agreed. And I highly doubt there would be any bizarre demands of
calling Squid "GNU/Squid" in all future mentions...I think the problem
is that RMS has a clear political agenda which not all GNU software
developers agree with. Because glibc is such a high profile project,
and used by every single Linux user on the planet, it would be the
likely place for such battles to take place while Squid would not.

I withhold any argument one way or another about the issue. Just
thought it worth taking into consideration.

(Though the "any future GNU license" clause does creep me out a bit.
Leaves the software basically under the control of RMS, who has begun to
prove himself a bit psychotic on some issues. Squid currently has this
clause and I would expect would be required to maintain it if under the
umbrella of GNU/FSF.)

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances