RE: NTLM question

From: Mihhail Meskov <mihhail.meskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:57:35 +0200

Mihhail Meskov
System Integarator
Hansabank
15040 Liivalaia 8
Tallinn, Estonia
Tel: +372 (0)6133617
Mobile: +372 (0)5090784
Fax: +372 (0)6131990
Email: mihhail.meskov@hansa.ee
Web: http://www.hansa.ee

As to my mind, it is because of "401" response. In case of "407" all the IE
4+ start NTLM negotiation.
So, if destination server offers the NTLM along with other schemes, Squid
should change 401 to 407 and "WWW-Authenticate: NTLM" header line to
"Proxy-Authenticate: NTLM". Also, Squid should change hostname of the client
to the name of it's own host in each NTLM message send by a client in
"Proxy-Authorization: NTLM .." with eliminating "Proxy-" from this header's
name before forwarding this client's reply to the destination (MS) server.

I'am not Squid developer, not even hacker. I've just discovered a lot how
NTLM works because of a project I am involved in. And, IMHO, if Basic
Authorization could be passed through proxy, why NTLM shouldn't ? Of course,
you may say that MS violates the HTTP standard with NTLM, but this scheme
works and is in use and becomes popular.

Mihhail