Re: Strange autoconf result on Alpha Linux

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:54:25 +0200

Guido Serassio wrote:

> Hi,
>
> l 18.43 25/08/2001 Guido Serassio ha scritto:
> >Hi,
> >
> >When I'm testing my new hosts_file code on a Linux Alpha, I found a
> >strange thing on src/Makefile after a simple autoheader && autoconf:
> >
> >#
> ># Makefile for the Squid Object Cache server
> >#
> ># $Id$
> >#
> ># Uncomment and customize the following to suit your needs:
> >#
> >
> >prefix = /usr/local/squid
> >exec_prefix = ${prefix}
> >exec_suffix =
> >cgi_suffix = .cgi
> >top_srcdir = ..
> >bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
> >libexecdir = ${exec_prefix}/lib
> >sysconfdir = ${prefix}/etc
> >localstatedir = /var/lib <========= ?????
> >srcdir = .
> >
> >Is this normal for Linux platform ?
> >
> >[serassio@io 2.5d1]$ uname -a
> >Linux io.sg.private 2.4.7 #9 Fri Aug 10 12:25:08 CEST 2001 alpha unknown
> >
> >[serassio@io 2.5d1]$ autoconf --version
> >autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.52
> >Written by David J. MacKenzie.
> >
> >Guido
>
> I forgot to write that I have the same result with "regular" 2.5 source.

Which Alpha Linux distro?

What configure options?

Smells like the autoconf installation is flawed with a bad config.site file.. if
so then reset it by using --local-state-dir='${prefix}/var'

Question to all developers: Any objections against removing the configure.in hack
that messes around with libexecdir and localstatedir? imho it is better if people
learn the autoconf options than we trying to tweak it in odd ways.. and the
GNU defaults is quite sensible as they are I think.