RE: Chunked allocator evaluation

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:57:52 +0200

> A similar function (stack frame parsing) is also built into glibc.
>
> However, so far I have found memprof highly usable in finding
> memory leaks, and
> think that malloc debuggers are generally doing a better job
> in these tasks
> than anything we could dream up in Squid. Because of this I
> have as goal that
> both mempools and cbdata should be malloc debugger compatible
> on request.

All leaky does is write to a file all allocation/deallocation
operations in an highly compact form. A program then takes the
binary image to find out symbols and decodes that file, looking
for unfreed mallocs and printing their stacks in understandable
form, and getting rudimentary statistics.

> With the increased usage of memory pools in Squid, there
> should be less reasons
> for malloc traces. As we in most cases know quite well where
> memory for a given
> memory pool is alloceted the question is more of why/when
> isn't it freed than
> where is it allocated.

Sure.

--