Re: Chunked allocator evaluation

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 17:25:07 +0200

"Chemolli Francesco (USI)" wrote:

> All leaky does is write to a file all allocation/deallocation
> operations in an highly compact form. A program then takes the
> binary image to find out symbols and decodes that file, looking
> for unfreed mallocs and printing their stacks in understandable
> form, and getting rudimentary statistics.

iow a grown up version of our --enable-xmalloc-debug-trace. Not quite
what Adrian was asking for, but yet somewhat useful given the proper
analyzis tool. However, such trace files tends to be rather huge even if
written in compact form given the malloc pattern of Squid. Also, given
that there are quite good stand-alone malloc debuggers which does this
and a lot more I don't really see the need of integrating such a thing
into Squid.

We have quite many malloc debugging features in Squid as it is, but the
quality of the debugging code has much to ask (if it at all works).
I think most of it should be ripped out, or maybe in some cases polished
up to be more useable in field testing. For testing in a lab, malloc
debuggers do a much better job.