Re: authenticate_ttl

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:44:19 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> the scheme specific credentialsttl determines how long the credentials
> for a username from a specific scheme can be cached without revisiting
> the helper.
>
> The global authenticate_ttl determines how long a usernames details in
> the global proxyuser cache are kept in memory without any activity
> occuring.

squid.conf says:

authenticate_ttl

        The time a user & their credentials stay in the logged in user
cache
        since their last request. When the garbage interval passes, all
        user credentials that have passed their TTL are removed from
memory.

I think that part of my confusion is from the fact that we now have
multiple schemes, and that the description of authenticate_ttl speaks about
user credentials.

Can you please explain the relations between the global cache and scheme
credential caches and their uses. What is stored where, and how is it used,
plus the respective cache keys/lookup strategies.