Re: automake

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 31 Aug 2001 21:40:11 +1000

On 30 Aug 2001 21:23:34 +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> If I haven't heard anything like "tried, hadn't figured out why it fail"
> in 24 hours, I'll merge in automake.

I got 2 reports of success, no other feedback. I'd say those UnixWare
users are rather lethargic :].

I've checked in the merge.

There are some more things I think we should do> They aren't essential -
but I think we will benefit by doing them.

1) The scripts Henrik uses to update sourceforge should filter
everything in cfgaux/ and */Makefile.in and aclocal.m4 and also
include/stamp-h.in. Also the files in the sourceforge repo under cfgaux
should be removed along with the Makefile.in's and the new
include/stamp-h.in. They are autotool created files, not needed under
revision control with the squid.sourceforge cvs policy. I'm happy to do
this if you want me to Henrik.

2) We need a policy change/update to cvs.squid-cache.org:
Any change to a Makefile is done to the corresponding Makefile.am, not
the .in file. Also, $(top_srcdir)/bootstrap should be run before
checking in, to ensure that all the Makefile.in's, aclocal etc are up to
date.

3) The daily tarballs, and the release tarballs for HEAD, and then 2.5
and all later releases should be created by

cvs co -r $branch squid &&
./bootstrap && make distcheck && make dist-all

this will create $PACKAGE-$VERSION.tar.gz and $PACKAGE-$VERSION.tar.bz2
For us that means something like Squid-2.5.DEVEL.tar.gz.
The advantage of doing this is that
a) a failed distcheck will result in no tarball - so we know that what
is sent out builds at least.
b) the .tar.bz2 files are significantly smaller than the .tar.gz files -
around 300kb less.

We can also start to do some neat things using the make dist and make
distcheck - such as snapshots from sourceforge if desired.

Rob