Re: Size of src/Makefile.in is 4.1 MB after automake

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 03 Sep 2001 08:33:50 +1000

On 02 Sep 2001 20:38:02 +0200, Guido Serassio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made some test, and problems are still present:
>
> I used for my tests HEAD and Cygwin Branch, using Cygwin and Alpha Linux
> platforms.
>
> The results are the same: Squid compiles fine, but after bootstrap.sh, size
> of src/Makefile.in is 4.1 MB and src/Makefile after configure is 498 KB.
>
> On Cygwin I have used latest automake from Cygwin distro and
> automake-1.5.tar.gz from automake web page.

Hmm.

> On both systems is installed autoconf 2.52.

That should not make a difference.

> Makefile.in is filled with MANY (23000 lines !!!) sections like this:
>
> @ENABLE_HTCP_FALSE@@ENABLE_SSL_FALSE@@ENABLE_UNLINKD_TRUE@@ENABLE_WIN32SPECIFIC_FALSE@@MAKE_LEAKFINDER_FALSE@@USE_DELAY_POOLS_TRUE@@USE_DNSSERVER_FALSE@@USE_SNMP_TRUE@am_squid_OBJECTS

Yes, that was the exponentially bad case for AM_CONDITIONALS.

With some research it appears that the fix for this went into automake
after feature freeze and branching for 1.5. I've e-mailed the
automake@gnu.org list to see if and when that will be available in a
production release.

However: that size Makefile.in was the size I was working with during
all the squid automake testing and creation I did from cygwin and my
little openBSD box (a p150).

IMO this isn't a big issue - as you say, it builds and configures
correctly, and those repetitive lines compress really well for
distribution.

I'll know more about getting a fix backported into 1.5 shortly though.

Rob