Re: aio_read implementaion in Squid

From: Venkatesh <gv_kovai@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:05:11 +0100

Hello joe,

Another doubt. Consider my config. PIII 650 MHz. 1 18GB SCSI (2 partitions).
256x3GB Memory.
cache_dir looks like,
cache_dir aufs /cache0 6000 14 256
cache_dir aufs /cache1 6000 14 256

I am getting queue congestion and DISK I/O OVERLOADING errors in cache.log
even for 120 req/sec. Do you say only this much can achive in linux with
this config? If so, what are the major changes we have to be for in Squid
filesystem side.
As I already said, I am looking for very high performance Squid.

One more thing, During this benchmark I have used very reliable 2.2.19 and
reiserfs. So I am suspecting this.

Regards,
Venkatesh

> Adrian has implemented an aio interface to COSS.
>
> Might be worth a look if you need pointers for how to proceed (though
> COSS is significantly different than UFS).
>
> I doubt you'll find it provides any higher performance than the current
> AUFS implementation (but then again, AUFS only works on Linux and
Solaris).