Re: Peer twiddling

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 08:17:22 -0600

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > > Right now the SNMP code puts its fingers into the squid code.
> > > I don't think thats right.
> >
> > I agree, but with the caveat that we don't provide any alternative! We
> > have to export the squid data in a machine format somehow, and we don't
> > even do that internally! (The stats pages are _html_ out!?!)
>
> I don't. I like SNMP for machine reading, and I don't see SNMP stick
> it's fingers more into the Squid code than the cache_object class of
> functions, only differently.
>
> The stats pages are raw text, not HTML. cachemgr.cgi translates it to
> HTML using very simple rules. But the thing with the stat pages is that
> they are intended to be read by a human, not a computer.

*nod* So should they be formatted to be read by a computer, and have
some external program/programs handle converting them to other
formats?

What about comments on the original idea? :-) The guy who I'm doing it
for would like it to appear in -HEAD and then 2.4 so he doesn't have to
run a "custom squid" (I like people like this. :-)

Adrian