Re: Peer twiddling

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:43:48 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> > Right now the SNMP code puts its fingers into the squid code.
> > I don't think thats right.
>
> I agree, but with the caveat that we don't provide any alternative! We
> have to export the squid data in a machine format somehow, and we don't
> even do that internally! (The stats pages are _html_ out!?!)

I don't. I like SNMP for machine reading, and I don't see SNMP stick
it's fingers more into the Squid code than the cache_object class of
functions, only differently.

The stats pages are raw text, not HTML. cachemgr.cgi translates it to
HTML using very simple rules. But the thing with the stat pages is that
they are intended to be read by a human, not a computer.