2nd-biggest Squid performance problem?

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:37:22 +0000

I have seen alot of discussion on this list of eventio. And it looks
cool. But I wonder if this is the Right Thing to Work on Right Now.
I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to work on, I'm just suggesting
that maybe we don't know whether it is.

Long ago, Duane correctly identified Squid's biggest performance
problem as filesystem overhead. And now we have the COSS project
fixing that. That will improve things alot.

Now that that's going, what is Squid's next Big Performance Problem?
It would be great if it is event handling, but I must say I have my
doubts. My impression is that we have been living fat for awhile,
luxuriating in the - correct - thought that most software overheads
are dwarfed by the FS overhead.

And, whatever that problem turns out to be, is it better to get the
cycles from that or multiprocessor scaling? Thoughts?

Along similar lines, does anybody have results from a profiled Squid
sitting around? Especially a busy one with thousands of connections
going?

                                                Jon