Re: automake

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:32:55 +0200

Andres Kroonmaa wrote:

> no conflict. as quoted above, "it is in the way", and removed.
> cvsmerge rerun didn't help. It probably thought that branch was cool.

This is what should have happened:

rcsmerge removed config.h.in, not config.h.

When trying to add the new file "config.h" it complained about config.h
already existing in your working directory and asked you to remove it
("please remove it"). This happens when there is generated files in a
working tree.

I don't see any reason why cvsmerge would have removed the config.h
file.

These things happens when you have dirty source directories and the
layout is restructured. Not much I can do about it except to genreally
recommend the use of separete build trees

On any GNU autoconf program the following procedure can be used:

   mkdir my-build-tree
   cd my-build-tree
   /path/to/configure --prefix=... .....
   make
   make install

By having a separete build tree you limit the amount of generated files
inside the source tree and thereby lessen the risk of filename conflicts
when the tree is restructured. If one keeps the all the build trees in a
single location then it also becomes considerably easier to clean up old
build trees without having to worry about preserving the (perhaps
modified) sources.

> I probably don't need to.
> Its just that merge removed the file that latest head needs, that
> caused the confusion.

Good then.