Re: Malloc packages

From: Andres Kroonmaa <andre@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:43:02 +0200

On 3 Oct 2001, at 10:07, Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org> wrote:

> > - increased memory footprint of Squid. I've seen this when I compiled
> > in heap-replacement. Not sure how its now, but when I tried it, it
> > consumed about 2-4 pointers per storeentry in addition. Together
> > with malloc roundups this was quite notable. One of my 2.3 squids
> > is experiencing this. heap memory overhead is not accounted for
> > as it doesn't use mempools.
>
> True. The heap in the heap policies are not accounted. It is allocated
> as one large blob and can be seen very easily when analyzing memory
> allocations with a malloc debugger/tracer.

 Actually one large blob is used only for holding pointers to actual
 heap nodes. Each heap node is alloced individually per storeentry.
 Today this makes not much of difference anymore. At a time I was
 into it, lru node was part of storeEntry, now its also separate.
 So heap overhead is only about 1-2 pointers higher than lru has.
 It looked much worse back then.

 Andres Kroonmaa <andre@online.ee>
 CTO, Microlink Online
 Tel: 6501 731, Fax: 6501 725