Re: Squid-2.5

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:23:27 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> I think that the sf cvs should have the automatic rebuild on - can we
> make sure that that does not come across?

Not really, and probably not wanted. The build environments should be
identical I think.

What we can do is to make the recommendation that all developers build
their Squids using

   --enable-maintainer-mode

or remember to run bootstrap.sh frequently...

> I also recall some discussion on the automake list to the effect that
> this option is worse than having the rebuild on.

Any pointer that makes sense for the causal user (not developer)?

Sure, there will (and is) issues with people patching their sources,
leaving the build environment out of sync. But to address this we do
have the "bootstrap.sh" script, and telling people that they must run
"bootstrap.sh" after patching or use the --enable-maintainer-mode is not
a big deal, provided we can also give then a pointer to a good automake
release.

> The summary IIRC was that the rebuild only triggers on changes to
> makefile.am/configure.in etc, so if it triggers on a users site they
> have done something that *needs the rebuild to happen*.

Which quite likely won't be possible on their system as they don't have
the full toolchain installed, and if thet do they most likely don't have
a compatible version of automake. Also, most likely this will be
triggered accidently by touching one of these files without actually
changing them.

The automatic rebuild WILL screw things up for users. Having it on in
releases is not acceptable. We have attempted similar things at a
smaller scale before (more specifically automatic reconfigure on
changes) and it sure did screw things up for people more badly than not
having it.

At the time that the automake version we use is "mainstream" then this
can be discussed again, but I don't think my mind will change. It is not
only about automake.

> I do however appreciate that users will have a much wider variety of
> software installed :] - which is the point of 'make dist' generating
> files with timestamps that will prevent the need for any autotools being
> present.

Exactly, but the problem is much bigger than only that.