Re: Squid-2.5

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 01:05:36 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Henrik Nordstrom" <hno@squid-cache.org>

> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> There is one small issue. The automatic automake rebuild should be
> disabled when making a release. It is good for development, but likely
> to cause problems in distributions.. looking.. ah there is a
"maintainer
> mode" of automake where the automatic rebuilds is only performed if
> configured with --enable-maintainer-mode. Now enabled.

I think that the sf cvs should have the automatic rebuild on - can we
make sure that that does not come across?

I also recall some discussion on the automake list to the effect that
this option is worse than having the rebuild on.

The summary IIRC was that the rebuild only triggers on changes to
makefile.am/configure.in etc, so if it triggers on a users site they
have done something that *needs the rebuild to happen*.

I do however appreciate that users will have a much wider variety of
software installed :] - which is the point of 'make dist' generating
files with timestamps that will prevent the need for any autotools being
present.

Rob