Re: sdirno type?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 20:50:10 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> I've run my private test squids with the sdirno set to a char
> rather than an int. Things seem to run quite fine with the patch.
> Now, the storeentry has got an explicit bit size but I still
> think it'll be a good thing to get out of the way now.
>
> What do people think?

I have expressed my opinion before. Still share the same view.

Any change that further increases the size of StoreEntry modulo 4 on
Intel or Alpha is banned from Suqid-2.5. Period. For the next cycle of
HEAD such changes is fine.

The size of the sdirno field is purely a exercise in memory usage. From
a stability point of view there is very little to say except that parts
of the code may expect it to be signed so a unqualified char type is
most likely a bad choice.

On the signed/nonsigned issue my view is that we should make the fields
unsigned, and reserve the sdirno and sfileno '0' as "unassigned". Easy
to test for and cannot be trashed by type mangling or signed/unsigned
issues.