Re: Squid-2.5, what is left

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:35:07 +0200

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Uhm, I still have my peer toggle patch, that I need to sit
> down and integrate.

Is this a 2.5 candidate? Don't think so..

> Someone (heh :) keeps prodding me to also try to get COSS ready
> for a beta run for squid-2.5, but I don't know if I'll get the
> time.

I have already expressed my opinion there.. 2.6. but I won't beat you if
you get a good stable COSS in time for 2.5. The COSS store is still
experimental, and thus isn't covered by the release cycle yet...

> Other than that, uhm.. florin has sent me an initial patch which
> I've got working against squid-2.5 that makes the internal
> resolver work with search/domain paths in resolv.conf .
> Let me go and create a branch and stuff it in there.

I'd say this also is 2.6 material.. domain search lists is not something
we have had, and should not be taken lighly in proxies. If something is
done then it should behave similar to how most browsers behave without a
proxy.. (i.e. "smart" lookups to expand the host name according to a
list of templates, and send a browser redirect when a match is found).
Simply adding a "search list" capability to the DNS client is not
sufficient for proper operation, and only covers a small subset of the
"DNS" search issues people are having..

The "standard" approach today is to use a redirector with the needed
intelligence.