Re: icons.shar keeps going

From: <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:35:09 +0100

Adrian Chadd wrote:

> If I do a distclean, icons/icons.shar gets deleted.
> Robert, could you phix? :)

We need to decide upon what is the original source: icons.shar or the
gifs.

As it is now, automake sees both as generated and original source,
generating one from the other, and deleting both on distclean.

My vote is that icons.shar is the original source, and that the gif
icons are included when a distribution tarball is rolled to avoid
needing to depend on uudecode for normal builds. This means that both
the GIF icons and icons.shar is included in the distribution, and
neither are to be deleted on "make distclean".

Also, the make target for generating a new icons.shar from the GIFs
needs to be a PHONY target using another name. There should be no
dependency gif->icons.shar. Only the dependency to generate gifs from
icons.shar if they are missing.

Normal mode: distclean leaves both gifs and icons.shar alone.

Maintainer mode: distclean removes gifs, but leaves icons.shar.