Re: icons.shar keeps going

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Oct 2001 18:44:42 +1100

On Sun, 2001-10-28 at 18:35, hno@marasystems.com wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >
> > If I do a distclean, icons/icons.shar gets deleted.
> > Robert, could you phix? :)
>
> We need to decide upon what is the original source: icons.shar or the
> gifs.
>
> As it is now, automake sees both as generated and original source,
> generating one from the other, and deleting both on distclean.

deleting both was a bug I introduced some time ago. I only ever build on
VPATH, so I hadn't noticed.

> My vote is that icons.shar is the original source, and that the gif
> icons are included when a distribution tarball is rolled to avoid
> needing to depend on uudecode for normal builds.

This is already the case.

> This means that both
> the GIF icons and icons.shar is included in the distribution, and
> neither are to be deleted on "make distclean".

That's not the correct way to handle this for automake. The .gifs are
created from icons.shar if they don't exist. Make distclean is meant to
erase everything created by configure and/or by make. So the icons need
to be deleted or make distcheck will fail. Cleaning icons.shar was a
bug.

> Also, the make target for generating a new icons.shar from the GIFs
> needs to be a PHONY target using another name. There should be no
> dependency gif->icons.shar. Only the dependency to generate gifs from
> icons.shar if they are missing.

This doesn't make sense to me. If we update icons.shar to have new
icons, then the old ones should be overwritten, or we'll get bug reports
like "I updated, ran make, ran make install, but didn't get the new
icons; what gives?".

Rob