Re: icons.shar keeps going

From: <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 13:00:07 +0100

Robert Collins wrote:

> That's not the correct way to handle this for automake. The .gifs are
> created from icons.shar if they don't exist. Make distclean is meant to
> erase everything created by configure and/or by make. So the icons need
> to be deleted or make distcheck will fail. Cleaning icons.shar was a
> bug.

True, but I'd like to move the icons out of this.

In the tarball, the gifs are the primary source.

In the CVS tree, icons.share are.

previously this was done with a little scripting before making a
tarball, but I suppose automake can deal with such a situation as well
in one way or another.

> This doesn't make sense to me. If we update icons.shar to have new
> icons, then the old ones should be overwritten, or we'll get bug reports
> like "I updated, ran make, ran make install, but didn't get the new
> icons; what gives?".

There is only the slight problem that we cannot easily distribute
patches that updates icons as the icons are binary, and thus must ask
people to run icons.shar manually after patching in such an unlikely
event.

Not that this whole discussion matters a lot, as long as the icons are
shipped as gifs in the distribution tarball (possibly in addition to
being shipped as icons.shar).