Re: icons.shar keeps going

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 29 Oct 2001 22:12:50 +1100

On Mon, 2001-10-29 at 23:00, hno@marasystems.com wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>
> > That's not the correct way to handle this for automake. The .gifs are
> > created from icons.shar if they don't exist. Make distclean is meant to
> > erase everything created by configure and/or by make. So the icons need
> > to be deleted or make distcheck will fail. Cleaning icons.shar was a
> > bug.
>
> True, but I'd like to move the icons out of this.
>
> In the tarball, the gifs are the primary source.

Sure, and the tarball is created via make dist.
It's integrity is checked via make distcheck.

So while the gifs are the primary source for end users, they remain a
built object and the makefiles need to keep reflecting that.

> previously this was done with a little scripting before making a
> tarball, but I suppose automake can deal with such a situation as well
> in one way or another.

It does it trivially. Have a look at icons/Makefile.am.

> There is only the slight problem that we cannot easily distribute
> patches that updates icons as the icons are binary, and thus must ask
> people to run icons.shar manually after patching in such an unlikely
> event.

Not really, as the updated icons.shar will be newer than their .gif
files, Make will automatically run icons.shar.

> Not that this whole discussion matters a lot, as long as the icons are
> shipped as gifs in the distribution tarball (possibly in addition to
> being shipped as icons.shar).

Which is the current status. Make dist includes the .gifs in the
tarball.

Rob