compressed cache store

From: Roger Venning <r.venning@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 22:29:43 +1100

Hi guys,

I saw a talk by a Hugh Williams (http://goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au/~hugh/)
recently. During which he mentioned the result of one aspect of work on
building fast web search engines - essentially compressed disk storage
of objects that are later retrieved for summarisation. He claimed that
the benefits of compression were that you could rip data off disk faster
and (more dubiously) reduce seek time.

Does anyone on the list have any feelings (or knowledge of prior work)
about this idea? I'm thinking of trying my hand at implementing
something, as the idea intrigues me. Obviously there might be issues in
the restrictions on the way that objects are retrieved from disk and
returned to clients.

Roger.